Hillend Bowling Club's J Callander, N Mc Laughlin and D Noble won
the Triples event held as part of the celebrations to mark the 125th
anniversary of the Renfrewshire Bowling Association which was held at the Grosvenor Bowling Club.
Hillend finished just one shot ahead of Lady Alice ( J Carruthers, G Watters and P Boyle) Bowling Club on 17 shots up to claim the spendid crystal trophy.
After the game the players retired to the Clubhouse for refreshments and a buffet which was served up by the host Club. The Trophies were presented by RBA President, Frank Morrow assisted by Vice-President, John Nesbitt.
The Renfrewshire Bowling Association was formed in 1878. The opening moves to form a County association came from Grosvenor
Bowling Club in Greenock through the efforts of their then President,
Mr Robert Mc Farlan and Secretary, Mr P. B. Mc Kellar.
On the 12th
April 1878 a meeting was held in the County Hotel in Paisley and representives from twenty two founder member club all attended. At that meeting it was decided that an annual game be played between the Clubs of Renfrewshire.
The matter was brought to the
attention of the then Lord Lieutenant of the County, Sir Michael Shaw- Stewart, who gave his approval of the object and donated
a magnificent Silver Cup. This Cup, which bears his coat of arms was later to be renamed 'The County Cup' The Trophy is now considered to be irreplaceable, and for this reason and insurance purposes, it is kept wihin the security of a bank vault.
The competition was first played for on the 27th June 1878 and was competed by all of the 22 Founder Member Clubs. The first winners
were Pollockshaws Bowling Club. At the time the Scottish Bowling
Association had not yet been formed, and some of the rules introduced by the .R.B.A. for the County Cup were later adopted by them, including the 25 yard jack, this was only changed in recent years.